Friday 13 April 2012

nail of the day (and a quick review of sally hansen top coats!)



Just a quick post to show you what I currently have on my nails. The nail varnish was actually one of my presents from my little brother, so thank you very much Archie! (Will he ever read this blog, considering it's mostly about beauty? I don't think so...)

The colour is Barry M Peach Melba which is such a pretty pastel peach shade. It's perfect for this time of year and looks so subtle and natural. As with most pastel shades, it did go on a little streaky at first. I used two coats, but next time I think I'll add a third, as there are a couple of places where if you look very carefully, it's not totally opaque. I also think this would make a really pretty base for something like a gold or bronze glitter!

As usual, I used my No7 So Smooth Base Coat, which is honestly such a great base coat. In the past I've had a lot of problems with my nails getting stained from painting them too much and this not only prevents this but really helps your nail varnish to last a lot longer. Brilliant!

For the second time now, I used my new Sally Hansen Double Duty Strengthening Base and Top Coat to finish off my nails. When comparing it to my trusty Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Top Coat, I wouldn't say there was any difference between them in regards to how effectively they make your nail polish last. I find that Sally Hansen top coats really do make your nails last so much longer without chipping, even if you are using a poorer quality varnish, and both also give your nails a gorgeous glossy finish. However, I do prefer the fast drying properties of the Insta-Dri Top Coat, as you paint on a thin layer after waiting two minutes for your polish to dry slightly, and very quickly your nails are totally dry and so you don't have to worry about smudging them or leaving little dents anywhere.


No7 So Smooth Base Coat (£7.00)
Barry M Nail Paint in Peach Melba (£2.99)
Sally Hansen Double Duty Strengthening Base and Top Coat (£5.25)
(For reference, the Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Top Coat is £5.99, and all prices are from Boots - remember the 3 for 2! Eek, too tempting!)

xx

13 comments:

  1. I think I will try that No7 base coat when the £5 vouchers come out again, because I always have problems with staining of the nails haha, thanks for the recommendation!

    coveclothing.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's really good! I only bought it originally because of the voucher but it's become my fave x

      Delete
  2. Lovely nails, thanks for the review -sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty and soft :)

    www.fashionmavenmommy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like it, it's nice and subtle. It chipped today at work though :( x

      Delete
  4. just bought the barry m one! it is such an amazing colour for spring :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Can't get enough of pastels at the moment x

      Delete
  5. Amazing blog, fab post.

    xoxo
    http://www.qhuleque.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip, I'll def try out the No7 polish when I next get a voucher:)

    www.dyobeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love peach melba! on of my fave Barry M nail polishes for spring im now following u :)
    Holly xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...